Thursday, February 14, 2008

I'm Mortified by the AKC Rankings


Will the indignities never end? Last month, you may recall, I told you about my “sister” Chris fitting me with false eyelashes after my demoralizing experiences with Coco Chanel, the fancy poodle. Now it’s come to my attention, that an authority no less than The American Kennel Club, has ranked the top breeds of pooches for 2007 and my breed, Bischon Frise, falls far down the list at #32. Not only am I lower than Poodles #8 and Beagles #5, but even lower than tiny little Chihuahuas #12. Even the common Cocker Spaniel and Boxers are rated more popular than my breed. Apparently the folks at the AKC haven’t met me, if they had gotten to know the “real me” I’m sure they would not have made this grievous mistake. I’m considering sending my registration papers back to the AKC as a protest against this insult.
You’re probably wondering who came in “numero uno” on the list, well it is the Labrador Retriever, oh give me a break. Sure they’re smart and friendly, but do they look good with antlers, bunny ears or false eyelashes.....I don’t think so. Though I’m disappointed to finish so far down the list, I’m a little surprised that my life-long friends Lady, April and Laddie Renshaw, the Westies, came in even lower at #35. My friend, Skamper Green, the Papillon, finished at #36, gosh, he’s the smartest “guy” I know!
If you’d like to see the entire list you can go to www.akc.org and check it out. My dog friends can take some comfort that we didn’t finished at the bottom of the list like the Otterhounds #156 and the very last on the list, English Foxhounds #157....I can’t imagine anything not to love about an English Foxhound, unless of course, you’re a fox.

1 Comments:

At 5:14 AM, Blogger Rawls said...

Oh, Chloe, I completely understand your lamenting.

You think being ranked 32 is bad? Consider the fact that my Catahoula half, which is responsible for my signature spotty coat, is not even a recognized AKC breed! Oh, the insult.

Unlike you, who saw JR the Bichon win the 2001 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, I can never see a Catahoula take home the blue ribbon.

On a postive note, though, I was quite pleased to see Uno, the beagle, win this year's Westminster. It strikes me as odd, though, that it took 132 years for a dog that is the AKC's #5 breed to take home the "Best in Show" honor.

I think the judges have a penchant for painstakingly-groomed, fluffy dogs. Personally, I think mud-boggin' gets me looking my best. Dogs wearing pink barrettes aside, I am pleased that my "snoopy" half--the one that gave me my sweet little face and floppy ears--is getting some public recognition.

Keep fighting the good fight Chloe!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home